Tuesday, April 12, 2016

"Participatory Culture in a Networked Era" Chapters 2 & 3

     While reading through the chapters, I couldn't help but compare the youth the authors were discussing with the youth that I interact with everyday. The authors maintain a very positive outlook on how the youth utilize technology, but I have a harder time seeing things the same way they do. I'm aware that some teenagers are using the latest technology in a positive way, but I have a hard time remembering that after what I see in school.

     boyd points out that "adults scapegoat technology" (44), but who is giving the teenagers access to the technology? The kids are not the ones who are purchasing iPads or smart phones for themselves, and they aren't going to Verizon and opening up a line for themselves with unlimited text and data. A lack of moderation has led many of the students in my school to believe constant use of technology is acceptable. Students will come to school with their phones and chargers, but without a pen or pencil. Priorities.

     I, much like the authors, dislike the idea of referring to teens as "digital natives." Not because of the connotations of the word native, but simply because most teens don't know how a computer functions. Outside of messaging, social media, and youtube, teens don't understand the inner workings of a computer that the image of a "digital native" conjures in my head. I don't mean to sound negative about the youth and technology, I just don't feel we're at the point yet to consider them accomplished.

     Consider that the PARCC is a computer based test. I have already used three class periods guiding my classes through the mock test. It's pretty rudimentary as far as features go. For these students to be considered fluent in the technology, I would have expected them to pick it up by the second run-through (especially since they took the test last year).

     I enjoyed the walk down memory lane that Ito provided in the form of the edutainment games I remember playing in grade school (61). Oregon Trail and Carmen Sandiego were nice diversions from the rigorous work set forth by our third grade overseers. I was vaguely aware at the time that they were educational, but for the life of me I couldn't tell you why. It's fairly obvious now and I admire how informative they were while being so fun at the same time. The enjoyment I received from moving up from Gumshoe in Carmen Sandiego was the same feeling I would get from unlocking an achievement on Xbox 20 years later.

     T-Mobile's Sidekick also brings back memories because that was the device of choice during my first few years of teaching. The sound of the screen rotating up so that students could text in class was unmistakeable. It was also so cumbersome to use with a tiny screen; it's quite amazing it took off the way it did. The students thought it was so great. They couldn't imagine phones getting any better.

     I hope that someday it levels out and the technology doesn't act as a distraction for a majority of the students. After introducing sonnets today, I made the comment that Shakespeare was able to write them all without the Internet. With all the resources available to the them, I would hope they could at least attempt one. Here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment